- Gorgeous rotoscoped short film explains the mystery of the Beale Cipher
Cory at Boing Boing shares an attractively animated film that combines a sort of collaged look with rotoscope to achieve a striking effect. The story of the Beale Cipher holds an enduring attraction among amateur code breakers though the question remains unresolved as to whether it and the treasure it supposedly guards are a hoax or not.
- Locally focused leak site launches
Audrey Waters at ReadWriteWeb describes the latest WikiLeaks inspired site to go live, this one promising a conduit between anonymous tipsters and some 1400 newspapers. Localleaks was designed by students from CUNY’s entrepreneurial journalism program so there is cause for optimism that this is more about improving journalism rather than necessarily trading on the cachet of WikiLeaks.
- NY Times considers creating its own leaks site, Slashdot
- Discussion of data retention law includes swipe of EFF, EFF
- Google joins MP3tunes in copyright suit against EMI, ReadWriteWeb
- Firefox 4 beta 10 released, The Register