- Robots designed by genetic algorithm
Cory linked to this research on BoingBoing. Researchers at Fraunhofer are combining several fields of interest including simulations of the environments to drive the necessary selection pressure for the genetic algorithms and 3D printing of the eventual results.
- Sklyarov and crew crack Canon’s image verification anti-photoshopping tool
I at first thought Cory at BoingBoing was linking to news that the noted DRM cracking researcher had foiled the technology Canon introduced for its photocopiers, to detect keywords for blocking or reporting. The system he bypassed though is intended to sign a picture as captured in a high end camera to allow detection of changes after the fact. The problem is one common to many such crypto schemes, that key bits needed to crack it are available in the clear in the device where an intrepid hacker can snag them.
- Australian government decides ISPs aren’t responsible for infected computers , Slashdot
- UK activists criticize brevity, secrecy of RIPA consultation, The Register
- EU launches formal antitrust investigation into Google, Washington Post