- Vodo sets up currency to encourage promotion , Techdirt
- Criticism of GUIs over CLIs for sys admin tasks
Slashdot links to a post by Paul Venezia at Infoworld that not surprisingly matches my own views quite well. I am not a sysadmin but have to deal with enough systems as a programmer to appreciate both his points about reproducibility and conservation of effort. I would throw in that notion that scripting command line interfaces also makes testing and unexpected tasks easier than graphical user interfaces.
- RedHat settles patent case, Slashdot
- BT seeks a moratorium on internet piracy cases, Slashdot
- UK ISPs band together to fight IP lookup requests, Ars Technica
- UK government to release works under open license, Techdirt
- Japanese mining company starts recycling rare earth metals from electronics
Slashdot has the details which are not as laudable as we might like. Dowa, the mining company in question, is responding to a Chinese trade embargo not to concerns over sustainable manufacturing. However if they develop cost effective, even profitable, means of recycling these metals that are highly toxic and in every increasing demand, that would be a pretty significant silver lining as others might follow for reasons besides trade pressure.
- ABC unofficially partners with StatusNet, ReadWriteWeb
- IE drops below 50% market share worldwide, ReadWriteWeb