- Brazil undertaking all digital census, using smartphones, Slashdot
- Contribute to SETI@home from your browser
Via Hacker News.
- Re-targeting ads stalk surfers for weeks after they shop
Slashdot links to a story at NYT that I find fascinating for its potential to drive home the point about widespread behavioral advertising. If more users notice these sorts of creepy practices, the more fuel we’ll have for debate around better practices around transparency and affording the ability to opt out.
- Cyanogen, after market mod for Android smart phones, now supports FroYo, ReadWriteWeb
- GPU assisted sorting algorithm breaks giga-sort barrier, Slashdot
- iPhone app in approval limbo goes open source, Slashdot
- New model developed to help organize, keep private massive amounts of online data, Science Daily
- Some California schools decide to track students with RFIDs, EFF