As I mentioned in the last two shows, I am in the process of moving my lab to a different room in my home. I call it my lab because it is both a home office and a studio. That and I have the domain name, bitbucketlabs.net.
Today we cleared one of the major hurdles in this process. I completely emptied the old room. We moved my younger son’s bedroom into the old room and cleared the room into which my lab will be moved in the process. The room into which I am moving my lab was our original nursery for the boys and has been hard used as such, then a shared bedroom, and then just a bedroom for the younger of the two. It needs paint, carpeting, and several small repairs.
Now that it is empty, we can schedule the painting. We have a contractor that we’ve used for some other serious home improvement work who coincidentally called the other day offering a discount on painting for the rest of this month. Hopefully once we have the estimate and date, then everything else should go quickly. We’ve used a national carpet retailer who does installation before with good results so are confident we can have that done within days of the paint being dry.
I have my great grandfather’s large, nara wood desk which is the last obstacle. I love this desk since it is simply huge so affords plenty of space for my mixer, mics, monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. It has several slide out panels, too, for temporary, additional workspace. It is, however, quite huge. I cannot move it myself up two flights of tight stairs and I am thinking it is probably worth the price to pay for a few hours of some professional movers time to move it. I also have my father-in-law’s tall, teak book shelves which will line one wall of the new lab. If we are getting pro movers, they can take care of those, too.
Painting, carpeting, and moving will probably take a couple of weeks. I am optimistic I can have it all done by the end of the month, before I am scheduled to interview Jonathan Zittrain.
In the meantime, I’ll experiment with trying to get one or the other computer setup in a temporary space for recording in the meantime. I am less optimistic about that working so well. I get the house to myself on Sundays, which may be workable, but the only space I can use is adjacent to our living room, which simply may not work for weeknight recording.
I will post some audio tonight with this same explanation and to announce that the show will be on semi-hiatus for the next couple of weeks. I will post regular updates, both on the blog and will try to get corresponding audio out for those who do not subscribe to the blog. If I can, I’ll try to get a few episodes out during this transition but realistically, it just may not happen until my new computer is hooked up to the new FIOS router in the new lab. Regardless of my audio production, I have a couple of ideas for the next features so may just be able to get a bit ahead of writing for the show if I don’t get any episodes out.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.