An Embarassment of Riches

I posted over the weekend that I received a job offer. Now I have two and if I keep a commitment for a second interview, I may net a third by this Wednesday. I have been working my tail off for two months with little to show for it but frustration. I am immensely grateful for all of the positive results now coming in. This really is more than I should expect in this economy. I am glad my efforts have been so generously rewarded.

I am pretty sure which offer I will accept but I have made it clear I will make my decision no sooner than Wednesday. The recruiters for the other two opportunities have worked very hard for me. I am going to have to say no to someone but knowing that doesn’t make it any easier. A fear of confrontations is one of my flaws. Even though at this point as I hold all the cards, contemplating the two conversations I will have to have to turn down all but one of the offers is causing me some personal anxiety.

The two offers I have are pretty comparable which makes my decision easier so far. With money and benefits being equal, I am guided by other factors, mostly by which is most consistent with the work I had been doing. There is a possibility, I do not know how likely, that the third offer, if it comes, will be significantly more money. That third opportunity may be based on some hefty contingencies though. It would be secured work for which I’d be cleared at their expense. I do not know how this would affect my start date and what I would be doing during the clearance process.

Additionally, work for a sub-contractor through a prime to a government agency would be very, very different from my mostly private sector, start up experience to date. The commute is also really at the very edge of my comfort zone. The recruiter thinks they may offer me up to twenty or thirty percent more than my other offers. Clearly if this is not the case, then my decision remains firm.

What if they do come through with a hefty difference in my favor? Right now, at the risk of seeming ungrateful, I am not sure the contingencies and unknown factors are worth even such a big positive difference. I like what I have been doing for most of my career and am eager to get back to it. I don’t deal well with such disruptive changes.

Am I just rationalizing or does this thought process make sense? (And, yes, I had thought about negotiating for a little more from my preferred offer but that is a tact best undertaken very, very carefully if at all.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *